Another Cat Post




Jacki reminded me that all of you are under the impression that my cat is an adorable innocent creature.  Well, that is only partly true...  After she has a nice belly full of food, after she has neatly cleaned every inch of her glossy black fur, she curls up next to whatever warm body happens to be sitting on a bed (or couch) and falls asleep.  This is probably the only time she is calm.  You can gently pet her for short periods of time and occasionally you may even catch her mid-dream, twitching and mewing at something we cannot see.  It is the definition of precious.  However, this doesn't last forever.  As unfortunate as that may be, I still love her.
Disclaimer: no, this is not Zelda and no, she has never done this
One night while Jacki and I were doing homework in the bedroom, Zelda was sleeping peacefully, doing that twitchy thing that I have come to know and love.  Jacki was working on the floor, a laptop (turned off) was positioned on a chair level with the bed and angled toward Zelda.  All of a sudden Zelda gets up and bristles (almost like the cat in the .gif), attention fixed on the laptop screen.
Now, she has never done anything like that before, so at first I had no idea what was going on.  She was inching slowly backwards, trying to creep between the wall and the bed to hide.  So I'm looking around, thinking that she saw a mouse in the room or something like that.

No, she just saw her reflection.  In the laptop screen.

So she's freaking out because she thinks there's another cat in the room.  In the meantime, I flip the laptop shut and grab a hand mirror because I assume that showing her what she looks like in a mirror that she will realize that she just saw herself.  (Because obviously my cat is capable of higher thought).  When I put the mirror in front of her face, she isn't impressed and leans way out of the way so she can see where she thinks the "other cat" went.

I'm like
"Seriously cat?  Calm down, it was just your reflection."

But she doesn't speak English, and my calming voice isn't having an effect on her tense and breathless body.  I pick her ridged frame up and brought her over to where she was avidly staring (under the desk) and placed her on the floor.

"See.  Nothing's there."

But she stayed there, slowly picking her way around and under the desk, searching for that cat that she thought she saw in my room.  For at least 45 minutes.

And she likes to sleep in my clothes

But I love her.

Category: 0 thoughts

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment